Saturday, December 27, 2008

THE SPIRIT reviewed...



Beware!!! Some spoilers ahead…

After spending Christmas with the family, I jetted over to the theater to see Frank Miller’s THE SPIRIT film. This was probably one of the best-filmed (and best-directed) movies that I've ever seen. It’s absolutely beautiful to watch. And I did like the way the actors Gabriel Macht and Eva Mendes portrayed (respectively) Denny Colt and Sand Saref.

But, everything else about the movie stunk. THE SPIRIT film is not Will Eisner’s Spirit. It’s not even Jules Pfeiffer’s Spirit, nor any Spirit that I’ve ever read in the comics. This is Frank Miller all the way. The film is moody, the script is boring, much of the casting is lousy, and giving the Spirit super-healing powers (and making him, possibly, immortal) is just plain dumb. Miller should have just renamed the movie "MILLER’S GHOSTLY CRAP" or some such because THE SPIRIT is not the Spirit.

I figured I’d comment on THE SPIRIT film since many P.I.C. members had had Will Eisner as a teacher at the School of Visual Arts. I am interested to know what everyone else thought of the film. Being a fan of the Spirit comics (and a fan of Frank Miller’s comics), I really wanted to enjoy THE SPIRIT movie, but I just wasn’t able to do so.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not surprised at all. Haven't been interested in Miller's output in twenty years.

December 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Eric Merced said...

I knew it from the very start. Not that I don't like Miller or Will's the Spirit. But the trailers themselves really showed me early on the movie was not going to be good at all.

Thanks for your honest review Al. Looking forward to reading what the P.I.C members have to say about it.

December 27, 2008 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger AlNickerson said...

Thanks, Eric. I, too, look forward to what the rest of P.I.C. has to say about the film.

If anyone wants a real Spirit fix, then you should check out DC’s THE SPIRIT SPECIAL #1 that came out this past week. It collects four of Will’s Spirit stories for just $2.99. Although the comic is printed in color, the stories are reproduced quite nicely. The comic includes "Sign of the Octopus" (one of my favorite Octopus tales), "Black Alley", "Sand Saref", and "Bring in Sand Saref." It’s all good stuff.

Despite the Miller film, I also highly recommend EISNER/MILLER. The book has some incredible insights on comics, the making of comics, and the business of comics from Will Eisner and Frank Miller.

December 27, 2008 at 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home