Monday, June 15, 2009

You can call me Al…

The P.I.C. interviews continue with Al…



P.I.C. News: Where are you?
Al Nickerson: New York.

P.I.C. News: What are you doing?
Al Nickerson: I’m drawing comics and writing about comics.

P.I.C. News: What’s new?
Al Nickerson: Not much. Still drawing comics and writing about comics.

P.I.C. News: What book(s) are you reading now-a-days?
Al Nickerson: "Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman" by Hank Wagner, Christopher Golden, and Stephen R. Bissette.

P.I.C. News: What comics are you reading now-a-days?
Al Nickerson: INVINCIBLE, JACK STAFF, ATOMIC ROBO, and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: SEASON EIGHT. Many comics stink of poo, but these books are very much worth reading. There are still some great comics out there.

P.I.C. News: What music are you listening to?
Al Nickerson: Delirious?, BarlowGirl, and Rebecca St. James. Nothing new there.

P.I.C. News: What was the last good movie that you saw?
Joel Adams: STAR TREK was entertaining.

P.I.C. News: What movie do you never get tired of watching?
Al Nickerson: BLADE RUNNER. BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT is absolutely amazing! Oh, and THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, too!

P.I.C. News: Who is your favorite hero?
Al Nickerson: Captain Marvel! The original… ya know, the "Big Red Cheese."

P.I.C. News: Who is your favorite villain?
Al Nickerson: That would be Magneto. Magneto isn’t just a one-dimensional villain. Yeah, he’s bad. Yeah, he believes that Homo sapiens superior (mutants) should run things, and that he should be the one to rule the mutants. Magneto is motivated by his politics… warped as they may be.

P.I.C. News: Who would win in a fight between Batman and Captain Kirk?
Al Nickerson: I would go with Batman. Although, if Kirk were commanding the USS Enterprise, he might have a chance.



Above photo: Al hanging out in Bucky’s dorm room at Sloane house. School Year 1987-1988.

P.I.C. News: What is your favorite Sloane House and/or SVA memory?
Al Nickerson: The School of Visual Arts college days were tremendous fun. I don’t know if I have any one particular fond memory of those times. But, many moments do come to mind… Will Eisner’s ‘Sequential Art’ class, (the great) Sal Amendola’s ‘Cartoon Workshop’ class, the Ghost’s Free Pizza Party, drinking at Twin’s Pub, Pro chasing Korn with a fire-extinguisher, trying to put a drunken Sean into the elevator, the P.I.C. gang dressing up like Korn, using white tape to divide my half of the dorm studio from Pro’s half, reading comics in Scan’s Corner, "borrowing" from Pro’s bucket of pennies during a game of poker…

P.I.C. News: Where do you want to be in ten years?
Al Nickerson: Well, if I’m not in Heaven by then, I’d like to still be making comics.

P.I.C. News: Is there any other news that you would like to share with the rest of us?
Al Nickerson: Keep reading P.I.C. News!



Above photo: Moments before Al’s baptism on April 1, 2007. Al is the handsome fellow on the right.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home