Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Beat and MoCCA’s Archie Comics exhibit...



Above: Got this info from The Beat: "The artist on the Elizabethan Archie painting is Terry Petersen."

The Beat has an important article concerning MoCCA’s Archie Comics exhibit and the issue of addressing creators’ credits at the show…

Because, you see, not connecting the names of comics creators to their work is, sadly, the shame of the medium. Let’s set aside the matter of creators not getting compensated for the billions of dollars their creations have garnered — just getting CREDIT has been an uphill struggle. It’s a disgrace that has helped keep comics in the cultural gutter for a long time, and only now, in this slightly more enlightened era is it being righted in some places, thanks to research and outrage.

Previously, I had voiced my own concerns about the topic of crediting the exhibit’s artwork.

A while back I had received a postcard from Archie Comics announcing MoCCA’s Archie Comics exhibit.

Two weeks ago, Scan and I visited MoCCA’s Archie Comics exhibit. By the time that we saw the show, the art credits were on display. I do want to point out that, after realizing that I was an inker for Archie Comic Publications, the folks at MoCCA were extremely friendly to me. They made me feel very welcomed at the show and stated that they always look forward to having Archie cartoonists visit the exhibit. I want to thank MoCCA for being so kind.

With the Internet, and with comic book creators and fans speaking out, hopefully, publishers will become more aware of Creator’s Rights. I do have to say that not all comic book creators continue to be treated equally, fairly, nor are they valued by all publishers. Creator’s Rights is something that we continue to struggle with in comics.

Also, I want to thank the Beat and Dan Nadel. They have done a wonderful job in addressing this important issue of Creator's Rights.

For information on MoCCA’s Archie exhibit stop by MoCCA’s website.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home