Saturday, February 6, 2010

An e-mail from Steve Bissette...



Above: TYRANT artwork by Steve Bissette.

Continuing with creators’ responses concerning "Comics and Work-Made-for-Hire: Creator’s Rights", here’s an e-mail from another buddy, Steve Bissette:

Al,

Some creators resent the Bill because they deed 'authority' to some perceived 'higher' position: as if they expect publishers to take care of them, their interests, and detest any thought to the contrary.

Some creators resent the Bill because, frankly, they don't want to deal with the business of comics. Of making a living. Of being responsible for oneself and one's work.

Others -- oh, I don't know. They resent having anything spelled out as 'rights.'

Rights imply obligations.

Some never learn; some learn the hard way (and sometimes too late).

I just don't know. Having seen the fortunes and situations of key creators of my own generation so sorely impacted by their own (sometime stubborn) refusal to engage with all it requires just makes me sad.

Such is life.

I do my best to teach my kids and my students otherwise -- to know their rights, to defend them, use them, and take care of themselves.

It's the best I can do with the time and arenas I have....

Best,
Steve B

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home